Hi Fellow Cake Decorators,
Now that I have some time in between conducting classes, I thought it would be great to share some of my royal icing piping techniques with you. Since that I am now in Malaysia, I thought it would be great to share and show you a step by step guide into piping the national flower for Malaysia which is the hibiscus. Do feel free to share this post with other fellow cake decorators. If you have any questions, do let me know and I would be more than happy to answer them for you.
1. Fill a bag with stiff red royal icing fitted with a tip 3.
2. Cut a 24 gauge wire into three and insert the tip into the wire. Squeeze and pipe a layer of icing onto the wire as shown.
3. Using tip 2 pipe some yellow stamens at the end of the stamen.
4. Pipe 3 small red dots at the end of the stamen using tip 2.
5. When dry, brush the yellow stamens with some gum glue and dip into yellow cornmeal to create the pollen effect.
6. Using a lined large lily nail and using tip 104 mark the “stick man” positions onto the edge of the nail to indicate the petal areas.
7. Using consistent pressure, pull the petal from inside the nail up towards the sides of the nail between the marked points as shown. Continue the same steps with the other four petals.
8. Pipe a small dot in the centre of the flower and insert the dried stamen as shown.
Behold! You have your Red Hibiscus.